Sunday, June 13, 2010

Been gone so long!

Dear readers,

I have been busy.
Promise.
And I have a lot to show you.
None of it quilting.
I'm venturing out.
Yikes!

This is my most recent project. Finished for all of... lets see... 2 hrs, as of the time I write this post. Now, I will give credit where credit is due. The shape of this skirt, I used Amy Butler's Barcelona Skirts pattern. The first time I used her pattern, I did everything as said in the pattern, with a friend of mine who is an amazing seamstress. She even helped me put a zipper in! However, that was a year ago. But this time I was wanting to make a skirt with some awesome sale fabric I got at Joanns, and do it quick. So I fudged my way through.
First thing I did was eliminate the lining. No need for lining. It's summer time kiddos!
Then, I eliminated the zipper. Two reasons: A. I didn't have one. And B. I was scared to do it on my own. (No fault of the Amy Butler pattern! She has drawings and excellent directions. I'm just a scaredycat!)

So the above picture is the whole finished product! And it fits me great! I love skirts! They make me feel so girly! And perdy!

Anyways, the important part: How I got away without a zipper! Shocking... the way they did it before zippers existed: buttons! I searched my cute little antique button collection my great aunt gave me and found these neat green ones! (Pic below.) Cute aren't they!? Then, it's hard to see, but I added an extra little flap of fabric on the one side of the inside of the split; so that if the seams didn't close perfect you wouldn't get a glimpse of any skin! (I know, I'm crazy genius!) Okay, does that make sense?

So that's my "makes me giddy" skirt story. Now...

Onto my sister's prom.
Oh, to be young again.
Long story short: My sister got an amazing deal on a wedding dress and I told her we could totally make it into a prom dress! (Make a note of the fact that the most complicated clothing sewing I have done is shown above!) But we did it!!
This is the back of the dress. It is a halter style, so that green v at the top is part of the front...

Okay, so what I did:

I cut off most of the train. And bustled some of it. At the bustle points I put little green rosettes I had made. I personally, didn't like the flowers, I would have taken them off, but my sis loved them. (B.t.w My sis picked out the green fabric.)

So onto the front. More green around the neck. Another green rosette near the waist where there is a split. Green down the split and round the bottom hem.

She was gorgeous!

And I made her comb. Never did that before either.
Didn't turn out like I had it planned in my head, but awesome nonetheless.


Anyways, that's why I haven't been posting. Prom was Friday. Now I'm back in the saddle. Working on more stuff!
Hopefully by Tuesday I will post a picture of the dress on my sister!
Now off to catch up on my blog reading!

1 comment:

  1. Beth you are AMAZINGGGGGGGG! Emma looked gorgeous in her prom pics on facebook!! I love the skirt too, i recently became obsessed with amy butler, and can't wait to try more, but a lot of her patterns intimidate me!

    ReplyDelete